Sunday, August 10, 2014

Day 70 - 4,000 Miles To Date - San Francisco, CA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

When I first thought about signing up for the 4k For Cancer, I was in the car on the way to a triathlon. I filled out the application on my iPhone and texted my parents "I'm biking across the country next summer." They told me no way, until I got an interview and got accepted and at that point they finally started to accept it. When I was in that car listening to Kelly tell me about the 4k, all I was thinking was how cool it would be to bike across the country. What I didn't find out about the 4k until this very moment, was the new family I would become a part of. I didn't know how inspired I would feel every single morning simply standing in a circle and hearing everyone's story. I didn't know I would care for people more than I even knew I could, I didn't know that I would gain 29 people that care equally as much about me. I was never told I would cry. Before this trip, the idea of losing a little brother, a father, a mother, a boyfriend were all ideas and I couldn't fully imagine what it would be like. I look at some of my teammates every single day and I feel like I am fighting with them, I feel like I know their family members that have passed away because I know them. I also feel their strength day in and day out. What they have been through, no one should ever have to deal with and the way they have fought through every single day is so admirable. I truly have never met such strong people and I wish every day that I can once be as courageous as they are. The day I rode for every one of the people my teammates were riding for this summer, I specifically thought of each of them up the hardest climb that day. I thought of Chad, Samy, Gerry, Dani, Dom, Ryan and it got me up that mountain faster than I could have imagined and I could have never done it by myself and with my own thoughts. When I signed up for 4k, I was never told the emotions I would feel during and directly after this amazing trip. I will carry everything I learned this summer and all of the strength from my teammates throughout all I do in life. I will always remember the Appalachians we got through together, the headwinds we fought through by each taking our turn in the front, the Rockies we got up with our climbing partners, the tears we shared the night before San Francisco, and the pride we felt as we ran into the Pacific Ocean.

It's a very weird feeling I have right now. To be completely honest, I do not feel like I biked across the country. I feel like I met 29 people, I rode my bike a lot and in a lot of different places, and got incredibly closer to these complete strangers from 70 days ago. A lot of people have been texting or commenting about how amazing I must feel, and don't get me wrong this is incredible, but I physically don't know what I feel. I was confused this morning when I didn't wake up next to my 29 new family members, rushing to the bathroom to put on my bike shorts and brush my teeth, and try to find the nearest coffee place before I did my chore for the morning. That being said, even if I don't feel physically different at this very moment, I cannot describe to you how appreciative I am of all of the people following my trip and cheering me on. I could not have done it without everyone who donated, sent me mail, wished me luck, texted me to see how it was going, etc. It is truly amazing the support and love we felt everyday and especially as we rode into that beach just yesterday afternoon, as all of our family and friends were waiting for us and cheering us on. I will absolutely never forget this summer and I know we are all already looking forward to send-off weekend next year when we meet up and ride out with next year's team. Everyone in the age range to do this trip should absolutely consider it, you will not regret it for one second. What an amazing experience. From San Francisco, CA, have a great day! What's next?! 

A few fun facts for you:
Though we collectively did 4,000 miles, I physically rode my bike for 3,604 miles. We climbed the equivalent of 4 Mount Everests and the fastest I went on my bike was 49mph. My least favorite state was Kansas, favorite state was Colorado, and favorite city was South Lake Tahoe by a landslide. I will never eat Subway or a Clif Bar another day in my life, but I think I still like bagels.Thanks again to my teammates, my supporters back home, and most importantly the 4k For Cancer and the Ulman Cancer Fund.


No comments:

Post a Comment