Monday, June 30, 2014

Day 30 - 1,756 Miles To Date - Salina, KS

Wow! Day 30 already and I actually cannot believe how fast this trip is going by. It's even so much fun that four of us are talking about creating a team for Race Across America - a week long relay event from California to the east coast. I'm not going to bore you with details since I haven't blogged in a while, but my bike problems have been resolved since getting some great rim tape (still crossing my fingers it's over.) I only got 25 miles in on day 26 before calling it a day until I fixed my flat problem, I think I have the record for our team with 6 flats in one day. Kansas City is definitely a cool city and we just happened to come across this awesome outdoor concert, live music is always a great time. Leaving from Kansas City, I had van day number 3 of the trip. It was pretty stressful for a second because everyone took different routes, but it was a short day and everyone figured it out on their own so everything worked out. The headwind is such a real thing and I would totally take climbing mountains over that. Our ride into Manhattan was about 90 and we stayed in the same church as bike and build which was pretty cool. We definitely both have different team dynamics so it was cool meeting another group doing a similar trip. The next day, we took off for a 75 mile ride into Salina, KS and it was a good group that just pace lined the whole way. I always love being in front and challenging myself until I want to drop back. Last night we had a huge dinner with the community and some cancer survivors in the area which was pretty cool. Today was a much needed rest/service day. We went to a cancer center in Salina and toured the facility learning about chemo and radiation. We were able to mingle with patients and tell them about what we were doing as well as hear their stories. I'm writing this as I sit and do laundry with the entire team, we get really excited when we see a laundromat. I think we're going to a local water park in a little bit which should be fun. I love this team and what we're doing so much! Tomorrow I'm in water van again for about a 90-100 mile day so it should be pretty interesting. We're going to be on our way to Wichita for our next mail drop, I've heard we have a lot of packages waiting! Ps - I still really want to see a tornado. 

No comments:

Post a Comment