Monday, July 14, 2014

Day 43 - 2,578 Miles To Date - Glenwood Springs, CO

So it's tough to compare any day to our Trail Ridge day, so naturally yesterday wasn't super amazing or anything. I really pushed myself to the limits climbing that day so I woke up pretty beat. The first about 30 miles of yesterday's ride were really not that great to say the least. I was just going through the motions and any climb there was kind of took a lot out of me. We also were back to normal groups as oppose to climbing buddies so everyone was kind of spread out and climbing alone sucks. Don't worry though, the day got better as it went on. The hard part of the day was out of the way and we had a nice river spot for lunch. Jeff and I stuffed ourselves with pizza and sat by the river (I immediately regretted my four pieces.) The scenery was also getting much better, of course it's always beautiful out here, but we started to see parts of Glenwood Canyon which is awesome! I'll let the pictures do the talking, but it was so cool to ride through. We also got on a bike trail eventually that went right by the river and through the canyon, so no hills, awesome views, and shade. The last ten miles on the trail were pretty funny because nothing on 4k goes as planned of course. In our minds, we had about 15 miles left on a flat trail so that takes roughly an hour. We first came to a washed out bridge that we had to pass bikes over then climb over ourselves. After that, we encountered thick patches of drift wood we had to get off and carry our bikes over, a fence we had to climb around, etc. The bike path was clearly under construction or something. The last ten miles took way longer than expected, but it was pretty hilarious. The first group was also chalking the bike path and after every obstacle there was an "LOL" which made everyone laugh. The rest of the ride and evening were pretty usual, I haven't showered in two days (well I washed my hair in the sink yesterday but...) so I'm looking forward to a shower and laundry hopefully tonight! 4k okay right? Today is a much needed van day, as I said yesterday started off pretty rough for my body. I didn't even run this morning before van duty, that's how much my legs need the break. So Steph Squared is on water van duty today and we're gonna kill it of course. Looking forward to riding into Grand Junction tomorrow and another mail drop, but sad to leave Colorado in a couple days. 

1 comment:

  1. You do a great job documenting your experience.
    Jeff's grandpa

    ReplyDelete