Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Day 59 - 3,332 Miles To Date - Austin, NV

As the trip continues to wind down, I'm beginning to realize that we should not be sad it's coming to an end, because it's also (cliche as it may be) the beginning of the rest of our lives. For most, it's finally time to start living in the real world outside of college, for some it's time to continue where we left off in the real world, and for some it's to get back to class working towards the real world. Whatever it may be, where ever we may end up, this team will always closely share this experience no one else will understand. As I sit here in Austin enjoying the breeze, staring at the gorgeous purple mountains as the sun sets, I look back on everything this team has accomplished. Believe it or not, we met each other 59 days ago and set off on the adventure of a lifetime. Little did we know we would become inseparable best friends. There have been challenges along the way as in life, but we have always all been there for each other and always will be. It's a pretty amazing feeling knowing you have a best friend in each of about half of the fifty states in America. I give credit to Emma for making me realize all of this, because before she said anything I was only thinking of all of these people I would miss and how I could possibly go about my normal life after this trip. Yes, it's gonna be lonely for a little not waking up on a gym floor next to 29 other friends, but as a team we've biked over 3,000 miles, met countless amazing people, stayed in over 60 different cities, dedicated our days to hundreds of family members and friends, helped out many important local cancer centers, and most importantly we've spread awareness at each stop we've made. Every gas station, city, national park, McDonald's, etc., we've spread what we're doing and why. If we keep in mind all we've done and what this summer meant to us, it makes the end a little bit better. And who couldn't be excited for the moment we cross the Golden Gate Bridge and see our friends, family, and that beautiful Pacific Ocean we've been dreaming of since Kansas?! I've made some of the best friends ever and met possibly some of the most inspiring, selfless people I will ever in my life meet, and for that I am forever grateful I came on this trip. For a short update on the past two days, we rode a total of 60 miles yesterday before shuttling 18 due to thunderstorms and today we rode 72 into Austin. We went out into the desert to find some natural hot springs which were AWESOME, until we saw three scorpions. At that point, we took a group pic and got the hell out of Dodge (middle of the desert, Nevada.) Tomorrow we head to Fallon, a 110 mile day, but hopefully not too hot, windy, or hilly. Now that I've said that, it probably will be all of the above. It should be a fun day though, our riding days are winding down, Harry Potter day and South Lake Tahoe are soon, and we have other fun festivities in store. Goodnight from the pacific time zone! I will probably do another update on our rest day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment